This week’s film quiz flies the flag for the foreign-language films that wound up getting American remakes, plus other movie trivia bits.
In the week we learned Train To Busan was definitely getting an American remake, we’ve been thinking about other films from around the world. This batch of movie-related questions may begin and end with films set in the USA, but hey, there’s also a whole lot of Hollywood remakes of foreign-language films in the middle there too. There’s nowt like a bit of cultural imperialism to start your weekend, eh?
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. Please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 as usual this week) and give us any other lovely feedback. Bon voyage/have a nice trip…!
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
This round is about new UK cinema releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 1987 – Who plays Ferris Bueller in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off?
- 2015 – What is the full title of the sequel to The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel?
- 1992 – Which action film connects Steven Seagal, Tommy Lee Jones, and Gary Busey?
- 2017 – At the 89th Academy Awards, Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway inadvertently announced La La Land won the Oscar for Best Picture – which film actually won?
- 1966 – Born this week, who connects Back To The Future, Titanic, and Zoolander?
- 1974 – Magnum Force is the 1973 sequel to which cop movie?
- 1991 – Which Batman actor plays a nightmare tenant in 1990’s Pacific Heights?
- 2008 – Which comedy stars Jack Black and Mos Def as no-budget filmmakers working in a video shop?
- 1969 – Which acting dame plays Miss Jean Brodie in The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie?
- 1996 – Which Iggy Pop song accompanies both the opening scene of Trainspotting and the final scene of its sequel?
ROUND TWO – Cinema Sans… Subtitles
Hollywood doesn’t just remake its own movies – it covers films from other countries too! Can you name the American-language version of each of these foreign titles and the year and star of the remake?
- Let The Right One In (Chloë Grace Moretz, 2010)
- La Totale! (Arnold Schwarzenegger, 1994)
- Infernal Affairs (Leonardo DiCaprio, 2006)
- Two Half Times In Hell (Michael Caine, 1981)
- La Jetée (Bruce Willis, 1995)
- Open Your Eyes (Tom Cruise, 2001)
- La Cage Aux Folles (Robin Williams, 1996)
- Force Majeure (Will Ferrell, 2020)
- Wings Of Desire (Nicolas Cage, 1998)
- A Tale Of Two Sisters (Elizabeth Banks, 2009)
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- Who directed, produced, and starred in 1940’s The Great Dictator?
- What type of animal is Pumbaa in The Lion King?
- How many Blair Witch films have been released to date?
- Which music duo provided the soundtrack for 2010’s Tron: Legacy?
- Which country connects the films City Of God, Fast & Furious 5, and Mike Bassett: England Manager?
- Which fictional New York start-up company is headquartered in the former Hook & Ladder No. 8 firehouse?
- Agnes, Edith, and Margo are characters in which animated film franchise?
- How many Candles make the title of John Hughes’ 1984 birthday-themed romcom?
- Complete this sequence – The King’s Head, The Hole In The Wall…
- And finally, “After all, tomorrow is another day” is the final line of which epic romance?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.