Can you answer a question with a question? You can with this week’s Friday film quiz, which covers quizzical movie titles and some other trivial goodness.
We’re not doing the obligatory Christopher Nolan round until next week, but in an unintended tribute to this week’s 10th anniversary release of Inception, (orchestral honk!) today’s second round has some questions within questions. On the other hand, if you don’t fancy the cinema this weekend and you’re staying at home, please enjoy this latest batch of 30 film-related questions.
As always, this is all just for fun, and once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. Please do get in touch in the comments and let us know how you did (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Let’s do this…
ROUND ONE – This Week in Movie History
This round is around about new releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 2011 – What is the name of the ape played by Andy Serkis in Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes?
- 1968 – “Mrs Robinson” was originally recorded by Simon and Garfunkel for which film’s soundtrack?
- 2008 – What is the full title of the third Mummy movie?
- 1945 – Born this week, who plays dad-of-twelve Tom Baker (not that one) in 2003’s Cheaper By The Dozen?
- 1975 – Janet, Magenta, and Riff Raff are all characters in which movie musical?
- 2006 – Which aspiring luchador does Jack Black play in the wrestling comedy of the same name?
- 1971 – In Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory, what is the name of the first of the five children to get their comeuppance?
- 2019 – Who plays Sharon Tate in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood?
- 1988 – Who directed School Daze?
- 1994 – Omega Sector and Crimson Jihad are organisations in which action film?
ROUND TWO – If This Is The Answer…
What’s New Pussycat? Did You Hear About The Morgans? Wait, Quo Vadis… come back! All we’re saying is that the answers in this round are movies whose titles ask questions of their own…
- Which absurd 2000 comedy revolves around the search for Ashton Kutcher’s missing Renault?
- Which 1993 drama film earned Leonardo DiCaprio his first acting Oscar nomination?
- Baby Herman, Judge Doom, and the Toon Patrol all appear in which 1988 comedy-mystery?
- Which 1962 psychological thriller features Bette Davis and Joan Crawford as movie-star sisters?
- What is the title of the 2007 sequel to the Ice Cube family film Are We There Yet?
- Which 1993 music biopic stars Angela Bassett as Tina Turner?
- Set during the Great Depression, which Coen brothers crime comedy takes its title from the film-within-a-film in Sullivan’s Travels?
- Which 2017 comedy stars Bryan Cranston and James Franco as a dad and his prospective son-in-law?
- 2020’s A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood casts Tom Hanks as Fred Rogers, but which 2018 documentary also covered the beloved children’s TV presenter’s life and legacy?
- Which big-screen sitcom spin-off is set in the fictional Spanish resort of Costa Plonka?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- In which film does Robin Williams play both Daniel Hillard and the title character?
- What colour connects Howard Hawks’ River, Brett Ratner’s Dragon, and Wes Craven’s Eye?
- Which 1982 horror film is set in the fictional California suburb of Cuesta Verde?
- How many Pirates Of The Caribbean movies have been released to date?
- Who plays ATF agent Ray Nicolette in the otherwise unconnected Elmore Leonard adaptations Jackie Brown and Out Of Sight?
- In which film does Patricia Arquette play Alabama Whitman?
- 2017’s Battle Of The Sexes is about a landmark match in which sport?
- Who does Robert Redford play in Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid – Butch or Sundance?
- Victor, Hugo, and Laverne are characters in which Disney animated film?
- And finally, what is the name of the baby girl in Three Men And A Baby?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). And let us know your scores in the comments below!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Become a Patron here.
Sign up for our email newsletter here.
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.