Do you know your Stillwater from your Clash At Demonhead? This week’s film quiz covers some of the best bands the big screen has to offer.
Sound Of Metal is among the Best Picture Oscar contenders that you’ll be able to catch on streaming services in the UK before the awards are handed out later this month. Charting the travails of metal duo Blackgammon, the film will be available on Amazon Prime from Monday and it’s got us thinking about other fictional bands and artists from the movies.
As usual, we’ve got 30 film-related questions in total this week, and once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. Please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 as usual this week) and give us any other lovely feedback. For those who are about to quiz, we salute you!
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
This round is about new UK cinema releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 1991 – The Quickening is the sequel to which fantasy film?
- 2001 – Who plays wedding planner Mary Fiore in The Wedding Planner?
- 1977 – Complete the title of the Disney animated feature – The Many Adventures Of…
- 1987 – The titular three men in 1986’s Three Men And A Baby are played by Tom Selleck, Steve Guttenberg, and… whom?
- 2014 – Tris Prior is the main character in which YA sci-fi franchise?
- 1995 – “We got no food, we got no jobs, and our pets’ heads are falling off” is a quote from which 1994 comedy?
- 2007 – Set in the year 2057, which Danny Boyle film charts the Icarus space missions?
- 1990 – Who voices John Travolta and Kirstie Alley’s infant son Mikey in 1989’s Look Who’s Talking?
- 2010 – Which sport features prominently in Drew Barrymore’s Whip It?
- 1954 – Born this week, who connects the remakes of Flight Of The Phoenix, Footloose, and The Parent Trap?
ROUND TWO – The Movie Band Round
How well do you know musical acts in the movies? From Mr Black to the Muppets, this next round covers all sorts of bands on film…
- In which film does Jack Black play guitarist-turned-teacher Dewey Finn?
- Which band’s members are played by Rachel Leigh Cook, Rosario Dawson, and Tara Reid in the 2001 comic-book movie of the same name?
- In which country does 2016’s Sing Street take place?
- Which 2010 comedy is a spin-off starring Russell Brand’s character from Forgetting Sarah Marshall?
- Which Muppet is the lead singer of The Electric Mayhem?
- In the Bill & Ted movies, which legendary figure serves as the bass player in Wyld Stallyns?
- Which real-life English band plays fictional band Flame in the 1975 film of the same name?
- In which Coen brothers films do George Clooney, John Turturro, and Tim Blake Nelson start a band called the Soggy Bottom Boys?
- Who plays rock-star and absent mother Ricki in the 2015 drama Ricki And The Flash?
- What connects a bizarre gardening accident, choking on someone else’s vomit, and two spontaneous combustions?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- In the news – Netflix has paid a reported $400m for two sequels to which Oscar-nominated 2019 film?
- Who connects the films The Net, The Heat, and The Proposal?
- In which 2003 film does Russell Crowe play Captain Jack Aubrey?
- Which country connects Before Midnight, Immortals, and Shirley Valentine?
- What is Jennifer Beals’ day job in Flashdance?
- Apoc, Mouse, and Switch are all characters in which 1990s blockbuster?
- How many Men In Black films have been released to date?
- Which actor’s directorial debut was 1973’s Play Misty For Me?
- What type of animal is Scrat in the Ice Age films?
- And finally, which film did Alfred Hitchcock make twice, first in 1934, then again in 1956?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.