Are you hanging up your stocking on your wall? This week’s festive film quiz offers 30 questions about movies from Christmases past, present, and yet to come.
For our final Film Quiz Friday of the year, (don’t worry, there’ll be another mid-week treat to see you through the festive season, so you’d better watch out for that) we’re digging into Christmas movies, including Santas, Scrooges, and everything in between. ‘Tis the season for finding stuff to do with families and friends, so feel free to use any of these questions for video-call quizmastering, as it’s all just for fun, at this time of year more than ever.
In this edition of the quiz, you’ll be visited by three rounds about Christmas and when you get to the end, renewed and maybe even redeemed, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. Please do get in touch in the comments and let us know how you did (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Ho ho ho…
ROUND ONE – Christmas Past
It’s the time when every Santa has a ball, so let’s start with a selection box of 10 general knowledge questions about Christmassy films old and new…
- Which Christmas character connects Boris Karloff, Jim Carrey, and Benedict Cumberbatch?
- Which 1946 seasonal classic is set in the town of Bedford Falls?
- Which duo had A Very 3D Christmas in the 2011 comedy threequel of the same name?
- Billy Peltzer, Murray Futterman, and Ruby Deagle are characters in which Christmas film?
- Complete the quote from Elf – “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is…”
- 2017’s The Man Who Invented Christmas stars Dan Stevens as which author?
- What is the first name of John McClane’s wife in Die Hard?
- How many Nativity! movies have been released to date?
- In which country is the festive zombie musical Anna And The Apocalypse set?
- Born on Christmas Day 1949, which Oscar winner carries Four Christmases with her performance as Vince Vaughn’s mother?
ROUND TWO – Christmas Present(s)
Do the fairies keep him sober for a day? There’s no time like the present, except for when we get Christmas presents, so here’s 10 questions about Santa and the giving of gifts on screen…
- Which Oscar winner plays Father Christmas in Aldi’s festive 2020 TV adverts?
- In which film does Rowan Atkinson play an over-zealous department store gift-wrapper?
- Who plays Santa Claus in Netflix’s The Christmas Chronicles and its sequel?
- In The Muppet Christmas Carol, which Muppet gives Ebenezer Scrooge his scarf as a present?
- Richard Attenborough memorably played Kris Kringle in 1994’s Miracle On 34th Street, but who won an Oscar for playing him in the 1947 original?
- In Jingle All The Way, what is the name of the action figure Arnold Schwarzenegger is shopping for?
- In which fantasy film does the return of James Cosmo’s Father Christmas mark the end of winter?
- Who plays Santa Claus (among other characters) in The Polar Express?
- Which European folklore figure is the subject of a 2015 American horror movie starring Toni Collette and Adam Scott?
- In Arthur Christmas, what gift is rush-delivered to a child in Cornwall on Christmas morning?
ROUND THREE – Christmas Yet To Come?
Does your granny always tell you that the old songs are the best? We’re going to be arguing about what is or isn’t a Christmas film forever, so think of this as a side-serving of Christmas in non-Christmas movies, covering the hopes and fears of all the years to come…
- Which James Bond film features a character called Dr Christmas Jones?
- Who wrote and directed the Christmas-set films Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man 3, and The Nice Guys?
- Which Disney animated film opens and closes with new puppies arriving at Christmas time?
- At the beginning of La La Land, Ryan Gosling gets the sack at Christmas – who has a cameo as the restaurant manager who fires him?
- Which dystopian sci-fi movie starts with Archibald Buttle being arrested on Christmas morning?
- Who plays Lee Christmas in the Expendables movies?
- In which romantic comedy does Sandra Bullock save Peter Gallagher’s life on Christmas Day?
- In Dumb & Dumber, which character’s surname is Christmas – Harry or Lloyd?
- Which Ridley Scott-directed sci-fi movie is set on and around Christmas 2089?
- And finally, which actor provides the vocals for Spider-Man’s Christmas album in Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse?
Look to the future… er, the answers…
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). As mentioned, we’ll have an end-of-year quiz for you next week, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below and have a lovely Christmas break, however you celebrate it.
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.