To heck with Technicolour! It’s time for our latest weekly film quiz, featuring questions on modern black-and-white movies and assorted colourful ones too.
It’s the end of another long week and from the moment you clicked onto our website on a Friday, we knew you were trouble. That’s why we came up with 30 film-related teasers to stall you while we make a break for the window. There’s quite a range of films this week, but to quote an often misheard lyric, it doesn’t matter if they’re black and white.
Once you’ve answered all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. Please do get in touch in the comments and let us know how you did (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Geronimo…
ROUND ONE – This Week in Movie History
This round is around about new releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 2019 – Which action movie pits Will Smith’s retired hitman against a younger version of himself?
- 1980 – Who does John Belushi play in The Blues Brothers – Jake Blues or Elwood Blues?
- 2002 – Which film marked Anthony Hopkins’ third and final performance as Hannibal Lecter?
- 1996 – Robin Williams plays a 10-year-old with an ageing disorder in Jack, directed by which Oscar-winning filmmaker?
- 1985 – The Horned King is the villain in which Disney animated film?
- 1971 – Born this week, who connects the films Hugo, Les Misérables, and The Trial Of The Chicago 7?
- 2016 – Complete the trilogy – The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons…
- 1994 – In The Adventures Of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert, what form of transport is Priscilla?
- 2005 – Who plays bounty hunter Domino Harvey in Domino?
- 1976 – Which seasonal Canadian slasher film has been remade twice, in 2006 and 2019, but has no sequels to date?
ROUND TWO – Modern Monochrome Movies
Next, 10 questions about films produced in the last 50 years that are either presented in black and white or feature major black-and-white sequences…
- Who plays John Merrick in 1980’s The Elephant Man?
- What was the most recent black-and-white movie to win the Oscar for Best Picture?
- What workplace is the setting for a 2019 psychological thriller starring Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe?
- Which stop-motion animated Disney film features a reanimated pet dog called Sparky?
- What is the name of the New Jersey convenience store where Dante works in Clerks?
- Who plays the sister of Tobey Maguire’s old-timey sitcom nerd in Pleasantville?
- Complete the title of the Steve Martin film noir spoof – Dead Men Don’t Wear…
- Which actor directed and co-starred in 2007’s Good Night And Good Luck?
- Which action movie sequel had a “Black And Chrome” cinema re-release in 2016?
- In which country is 1995’s La Haine set?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- Which Top Gun parody stars Charlie Sheen as Lieutenant Topper Harley?
- Which Oscar winner provides the voice of Spider-Man Noir, the 1930s detective Spidey, in Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse?
- Which cue sport is the subject of The Hustler and its sequel The Colour Of Money?
- Which member of the cast of 1990’s Flatliners (sort of) reprised their role in the 2017 reboot?
- Which video-game franchise has featured RoboCop, Freddy Krueger, and John Rambo as guest characters?
- Which Robert Louis Stevenson novel did the Muppets adapt in a 1996 film?
- Who directed the 2007 sci-fi movie Sunshine?
- What kind of animal is Keanu in the Key and Peele comedy Keanu?
- Who plays advertising executive Helen Quilley in 1998’s Sliding Doors?
- And finally, excluding documentaries, how many movies have co-starred Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone to date?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.