It’s time to separate your First Avenger from your Last Knight with our weekly film quiz, which covers sequels, remakes, and all kinds of films in between.
Ready for another trilogy of trivia questions? In the week that Sister Act 3 was announced and On The Rocks didn’t turn out to be Sofia Coppola’s sequel to the Russell Brand version of Arthur, we’ve been thinking about the sequel subtitles that go where fancy numerals and plain-old numbers just won’t do. On either side of that round, we’ve got lots more movie-related teasers to end the week.
Once you’ve answered all 30 questions, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. Please do get in touch in the comments and let us know how you did (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Here we go…
ROUND ONE – This Week in Movie History
This round is around about new releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 1991 – Which imaginary friend is played by Rik Mayall in the comedy of the same name?
- 2013 – Which duo’s music features in the movie musical Sunshine On Leith?
- 1987 – Which erotic thriller inspired the slang term “bunny boiler”?
- 1998 – Which film is largely set on the fictional island of Seahaven?
- 1979 – Born this week, who plays Superman in Superman Returns?
- 2019 – Renée Zellweger won this year’s Best Actress Oscar for playing which movie star?
- 1971 – Eglantine Price is the main character in which Disney film?
- 2004 – Complete the movie title – Sky Captain And The…
- 1988 – Who plays Jonathan “The Duke” Mardukas in Midnight Run?
- 2006 – The Departed is a remake of which Hong Kong crime thriller?
ROUND TWO – Electric Boogaloo!
This round takes its name from the immortal subtitle to Breakin’ 2. Can you name the franchise each sequel belongs to, based only on its subtitle and the year it was released in cinemas?
- Back In The Habit (1993)
- Season Of The Witch (1982)
- Dead Man’s Chest (2006)
- Insurrection (1998)
- Dude, Where’s My Donkey? (2014)
- When Nature Calls (1995)
- The Heretic (1977)
- Europe’s Most Wanted (2012)
- Dark Territory (1995)
- The Legend Of Fritton’s Gold (2009)
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- What is the name of the large rabbit appears in Donnie’s visions in Donnie Darko?
- Roger Thornhill is the main character in which Alfred Hitchcock thriller?
- What sport connects the movies High Flying Bird, Hoosiers, and Uncle Drew?
- Who plays undercover journalist Josie Geller in Never Been Kissed?
- The longest gap between new James Bond movies to date is six years and five months, between 1989’s Licence To Kill and which Pierce Brosnan film?
- Complete the trilogy – Cloverfield, 10 Cloverfield Lane…
- The Italian Job features red, white, and blue cars in which British make and model?
- Which 2019 animated sequel features an alien called Lu-La?
- Who connects Smokey And The Bandit, Steel Magnolias, and The Amazing Spider-Man?
- And finally, in which 1993 film does Kevin Kline play both the US President and the lookalike who replaces him when he gets sick?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.