The curse of threequels looms over this week’s film quiz, which features three more rounds of questions about all things movie-related.
There’s a threequel that shall remain nameless in which one of the characters winks that “everyone knows that the third movie is always the worst” after a screening of Return Of The Jedi. If you ask me, that’s a heck of a thing for a movie as bad as that one to say about a movie as good as Return Of The Jedi. But hey, as you’re not asking me, let me ask you another 30 film-released teasers instead.
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, (the third round is usually the best, actually) you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. Please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 as usual this week) and give us any other lovely feedback. Here we go, one, two, five – I mean, three!
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
This round is about new UK cinema releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 1978 – “When there’s no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth” is the tagline to which classic zombie movie?
- 2014 – Who plays hotel manager M. Gustave in The Grand Budapest Hotel?
- 1987 – Which cue sport features prominently in The Color Of Money?
- 2005 – Which professional “date doctor” does Will Smith play in the comedy of the same name?
- 1938 – Which producer received seven miniature Oscars for a 1937 animated feature?
- 1999 – What is Patch Adams’ profession in Patch Adams?
- 2001 – Which Christopher Guest comedy takes place in the run-up to a prestigious dog show?
- 1974 – What tattoo does Steve McQueen have on his chest in 1973’s Papillon?
- 2019 – Carol Danvers is the alter-ego of which Marvel superhero?
- 1950 – Born this week, whose directorial credits include Airplane!, Top Secret!, and Ghost?
ROUND TWO – The Search For A Subtitle
Is the third cut the deepest? Probably not, but see if you can name the franchises that these threequel subtitles go with, for better or worse…
- Beyond Thunderdome (1985)
- Eclipse (2010)
- Revolutions (2003)
- Dream Warriors (1987)
- Secret Of The Tomb (2014)
- Parabellum (2019)
- Senior Year (2008)
- Back In Training (1986)
- Dark Of The Moon (2011)
- Return To Fantasia (1994)
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- Who connects the 1976 films Taxi Driver, Freaky Friday, and Bugsy Malone?
- Which 1990s comedy marked Mike Myers’ feature film debut?
- In what year is 2020’s Wonder Woman sequel set?
- “When You Believe” is an Oscar-winning song from which DreamWorks animated film?
- What word goes before Honey, Psycho, and Splendor to make the titles of three other movies?
- Who plays Effie Trinket in the Hunger Games movies?
- Which romantic comedy connects Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton, and Keanu Reeves?
- Complete the title of the 2011 horror film – We Need To Talk About…
- In Pet Sematary, what kind of animal is Church?
- And finally, Penny Marshall was the first female director to have a film gross more than $100m at the worldwide box office – what was the film?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.