Unless you’re Ridley Scott, you only get one go at this week’s film quiz, which covers everything from original visions to “Ultimate Editions”.
Zack Snyder’s Justice League is the latest in a long line of films that have had alternate cuts released in cinemas or on home media, even if this one proven more expensive to complete than some of the cuts covered in this week’s quiz. Within this fresh batch of 30 movie-related teasers, we’ve got a few questions about different edits of major movies.
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. Please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 as usual this week) and give us any other lovely feedback. And don’t be encouraged by all these directors and studios – try to get it right the first time!
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
This round is about new UK cinema releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 2018 – Which Beatrix Potter character is voiced by James Corden in the film of the same name?
- 1976 – Which singer and actor plays alien visitor Thomas Jerome Newton in The Man Who Fell To Earth?
- 2005 – Rodney Copperbottom is the main character in which Blue Sky animated film?
- 1966 – What type of animal is Elsa in Born Free?
- 1989 – Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito play twin brothers in Twins – who is the eldest in real life?
- 2012 – Complete the title of the Cameron Crowe film – We Bought A…
- 1993 – In Candyman, the Candyman is summoned by someone saying his name to a mirror how many times?
- 1947 – Born this week, who connects the films Dangerous Liaisons, Fatal Attraction, and Guardians Of The Galaxy?
- 1990 – Which 1989 comedy revolves around the deceased title character’s corpse being manoeuvred by his employees?
- 2003 – “Gun kata” is a fictional fighting style created for which 2002 sci-fi action film?
ROUND TWO – Back To The Editing Room
As Zack Snyder’s Justice League finally hits screens, here’s are some questions about films that were, for one reason or another, altered after their original release…
- The Whole Bloody Affair is the complete version of which two Quentin Tarantino films?
- 1982’s E.T. The Extra Terrestrial features a scene with federal agents carrying guns – what were the guns digitally replaced with in the Special Edition re-release?
- Which director’s extended cuts include The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up, and Funny People?
- Which 1977 dance drama was edited down to a PG version for a 1979 re-release aimed at younger audiences?
- Which landmark 1920s sci-fi film was given a new pop soundtrack featuring David Bowie, Freddie Mercury, and Pat Benatar for its 1984 re-release?
- Coda: The Death Of Michael Corleone is the 2020 director’s cut of which much-maligned sequel?
- What mythical creature features prominently in latter-day cuts of Blade Runner?
- The Beginning and Dominion are alternate cuts of the 2004 prequel to which horror film?
- Which actor’s wedding ring and very human hand made an unexpected appearance in the original cinematic release of 2019’s Cats?
- As of the most recent 4K special edition released in 2019, who shoots first in Star Wars: A New Hope‘s cantina scene – Han Solo or Greedo?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- What is the full title of the 2015 sequel to Magic Mike?
- Who connects the films Die Another Day, Swordfish, and X-Men: The Last Stand?
- In the news – which film has become the highest-grossing of all time at the global box office for the second time?
- Which Oscar winner plays soap actress Dorothy Michaels in Tootsie?
- Which country connects the films Beowulf, Klown, and Out Of Africa?
- Who plays the Winter Soldier in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?
- Including the reboot, how many RoboCop movies have been released to date?
- Which 2007 drama connects Keira Knightley, James McAvoy, and Saoirse Ronan?
- Who directed 2017’s The Shape Of Water?
- And finally, in which 1980s comedy does the late, great Yaphet Kotto play Special Agent Alonzo Mosely?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.