We’re writing this week’s film quiz from the middle of Round 2, which covers time travel and time travellers in the movies.
I remember our quiz from 18th September 2020 well. As always, the first round was about this week in movie history and the third round could be about anything, because the future is what we make it. Once I’m finished with this, I’ll remember to go and get some pot luck questions from later and bring them back here.
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. Please do get in touch in the comments and let us know how you did (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. As always, this is just for fun and there are no prizes, because where we’re going, we don’t need prizes…
ROUND ONE – This Week in Movie History
This round is around about new releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 2001 – “I live my life a quarter-mile at a time” is a quote from which action movie?
- 1978 – Which singer performs the title song in Grease?
- 1986 – What is the full title of George A. Romero’s third Dead movie?
- 1973 – Born this week, who plays Prince Edward in Disney’s Enchanted?
- 2018 – Crazy Rich Asians is largely set in which island nation?
- 1997 – In which film does Harrison Ford play President James Marshall?
- 1987 – Who plays Al Capone in The Untouchables?
- 2007 – Which slapstick action-thriller connects Clive Owen, Monica Bellucci, and Paul Giamatti?
- 1994 – Dazed And Confused is set during which decade?
- 2016 – William is the name of the title character in which comedy threequel?
ROUND TWO – It’s About Time
With Tenet and Bill & Ted Face The Music both playing in cinemas, here are 10 questions drawn from films about time and relative dimensions in space…
- In Back To The Future, what is the name of the first dog to travel through time?
- Who plays the time traveller in 2009’s The Time Traveller’s Wife?
- Based on the video game of the same name, which 2016 time-travel movie stars Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard, and Jeremy Irons?
- Who plays 19th-century nobleman Leopold in Kate & Leopold?
- Which historical figure does Malcolm McDowell’s H.G. Wells pursue to the year 1979 in Time After Time?
- Set in the 14th century, which horror sequel had the working title Medieval Dead?
- In which fantasy weepy does Christopher Reeve play a time-travelling playwright?
- Who directed 2012’s Looper?
- Which Disney animated film features Wilbur, a 13-year-old time cop from the future?
- Who is the first historical figure to arrive in 1988 in Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- The 2005 romcom Must Love Dogs is a remake of the Spanish-language film Amores Perros – true or false?
- Which 2019 film stars Samara Weaving as a newlywed who is hunted by her in-laws?
- How many Police Academy movies have been released to date?
- What kind of animal is Rango in the animated western Rango?
- Which 1946 Powell and Pressburger film features an iconic sequence with an escalating stairway to heaven?
- Who confirmed she had retired from acting in 2017, three years after her most recent roles in The Other Woman, Sex Tape, and Annie?
- Complete the trilogy – Meet The Parents, Meet The Fockers…
- In which horror movie does Salma Hayek play a stripper called Santanico Pandemonium?
- 1997’s US Marshals is a spin-off from which Oscar-nominated film?
- And finally, which Scottish city features in the title of 1986’s highest-grossing comedy?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below!
Thank you for visiting!
We are fundraising to keep our magazines going into 2021 – could you please support us or spread the word:
Or become a Patron here.
Sign up for our email newsletter here.
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.