Arrow has already lined up its second release in the Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray format, with Cinema Paradiso arriving this September.
Here’s a nice surprise. A few weeks ago, we learned that Arrow was set to enter the Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray market, announcing Pitch Black as its first title on the format. Now, it’s added another to its list, the quite wonderful Phillipe Noiret movie Cinema Paradiso.
If you’ve never had the pleasure, the Oscar-winning movie is really, really something. A love letter to cinema on the one hand, and the story of a life and friendship on the other, I’m aware that even writing that sentence makes the film sound a little guff-y. It’s anything but.
Arrow will be releasing the film on Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray on 21st September, with the theatrical cut getting the 4K treatment. There’s a 1080p version of the extended director’s cut too in the package, which runs to 50 minutes longer. Plus, there’s this package of extra features…
- Audio commentary with director Giuseppe Tornatore and Italian cinema expert critic Millicent Marcus
- A Dream of Sicily A 52-minute documentary profile of Giuseppe Tornatore featuring interviews with the director and extracts from his early home movies as well as interviews with director Francesco Rosi and painter Peppino Ducato, set to music by the legendary Ennio Morricone
- A Bear and a Mouse in Paradise A 27-minute documentary on the making of Cinema Paradiso and the characters of Toto and Alfredo, featuring interviews the actors who play them, Philippe Noiret and Salvatore Cascio as well as Tornatore
- The Kissing Sequence Giuseppe Tornatore discusses the origins of the kissing scenes with clips identifying each scene
- Original Director s Cut Theatrical Trailer and 25th Anniversary Re-Release Trailer
The movie is available for preorder now, and you can find out more details here.
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Become a Patron here.
Sign up for our email newsletter here.
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.