There’s no little gold blokes to be won in this week’s film quiz, but let’s see what you know about Oscar-winning movies, stars, and songs.
Much of the scuttlebutt around this year’s Oscars has been about how to get audiences interested again. For the first time since 2010, there’s a full ten nominees for Best Picture, including Belfast, Dune, and West Side Story, and there’s a new Fan Favourite Oscar, which is going about as well as expected. Whether you’re doing this on Friday as usual or saving it as a warm-up for watching the ceremony live into the early hours of Monday morning, we hope you’ll enjoy this week’s selection of trivia about Oscar-worthy faves past and present.
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. Please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Also, if enough of you get an answer wrong, let us know and we’ll declare it the Fan-Favourite Correct Answer!
ROUND ONE – This Year’s Oscar Nominees
How much do you know about the films and actors in the running for an Oscar this Sunday? All movies covered have had a cinema or streaming release in the UK at the time of writing.
- Which Netflix-backed comedy is about the discovery of a planet-killing comet on a collision course with Earth?
- Who is nominated for Best Director and Best Original Screenplay Oscars for Belfast?
- Which Pixar film takes place in the small Italian town of Portorosso?
- Born this week in 1977, who scored a Best Actress nomination for playing the title character in The Eyes Of Tammy Faye?
- Which Best Picture contender takes its name from a slang term for a 12-inch vinyl record?
- What is Richard’s surname in the sports biopic King Richard?
- Real-life couple Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons both have acting nominations for their roles in which western drama?
- Which fortuitously named actor plays Duke Leto Atreides in Dune?
- Which of this year’s Best Visual Effects contenders connects acting nominees Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, and J.K. Simmons?
- Which Oscar-winning star of 1961’s West Side Story both acts in and executive-produces Steven Spielberg’s 2021 remake?
ROUND TWO – Best Original Songs
Can You Feel The Love Tonight? Are you a Man or a Muppet? Not questions you’ll get in this round, but can you identify the films that won the Oscar for Best Original Song from the title of the song and the year the film was released?
- “Shallow” (2018)
- “When You Wish Upon A Star” (1940)
- “Take My Breath Away” (1986)
- “Talk To The Animals” (1967)
- “It’s Hard Out Here For A Pimp” (2005)
- “(I’ve Had) The Time Of My Life” (1987)
- “Writing’s On The Wall” (2015)
- “Moon River” (1961)
- “Into The West” (2003)
- “Evergreen” (1976)
ROUND THREE – Oscars Pot Luck
Sure, it’s an honour to be nominated, but let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck questions about Best Pictures, Directors, Actors, and Actresses.
- True or false? All three Godfather films won the Oscar for Best Picture.
- “Are you not entertained?” is a famous quote from which 2000 film?
- Also born this week in 1958, who won Best Actress for playing Ada McGrath in 1993’s The Piano?
- In which 1956 film does David Niven play Phileas Fogg?
- Who most recently scored two acting nominations in the same year, for her 2019 roles in Jojo Rabbit and Marriage Story?
- Which war connects the films The Deer Hunter, Forrest Gump, and Platoon?
- Who won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for playing football star Rod Tidwell in 1996’s Jerry Maguire?
- Complete the title of the 1941 John Ford-directed film – How Green Was My…
- Who won Best Director Oscars for the films Sense & Sensibility and Life Of Pi?
- And finally, which film comes next in this sequence of Best Picture winners: Marty > The Apartment > Schindler’s List > … ?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll be back next Friday with another quiz, but until then, let us know your scores did in the comments below!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.