With Scream (5cream?) in cinemas, this week’s film quiz tests your knowledge of fifth instalments of franchises, along with various other movie trivia.
If the customary movie quizzes at the beginning of each Scream film had Ghostface asking about the fifth movies of horror franchises, the trivia bits would have deeper cuts than the eventual victims. It’s unsurprising then, that the new Scream movie takes a different approach, but we’re sickos too, so this week’s quiz covers movie franchises that made it as far as five instalments.
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. As an enduringly popular fifth movie put it, “Yippee Ki-Yay, Mother Russia”…
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
This round is about new UK cinema releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 2013 – King Schultz, Calvin Candie, and Broomhilda Von Shaft are all characters in which revisionist western?
- 1998 – Who plays adult film star Dirk Diggler in Boogie Nights?
- 1965 – “The Rain In Spain” is a song from which 1964 movie musical?
- 1991 – Who directed 1990’s Miller’s Crossing?
- 2008 – Played by John C. Reilly, Dewey Cox is the main character of which spoof music biopic?
- 1959 – Born this week, Linda Blair is best known for playing Regan MacNeil in which 1970s horror movie?
- 2011 – Set in the world of breakfast TV, which comedy connects Rachel McAdams, Harrison Ford, and Diane Keaton?
- 1974 – Complete the title of the Hammer horror movie – The Satanic Rites Of…
- 2019 – Who plays Mr Glass in the superhero threequel Glass?
- 1989 – Which 1988 film has the tagline “When he pours, he reigns”?
ROUND TWO – Five-quels?
To celebrate The Film That Really Ought To Be Called Scream 5, here’s 10 questions about the fifth movies in other franchises…
- Which Star Trek actor directed Star Trek V: The Final Frontier?
- Fast Five revolves around an audacious heist in which South American city?
- Who plays John McClane’s CIA agent son Jack in A Good Day To Die Hard?
- Back In The Hood is the fifth instalment of which horror franchise?
- Who sang the title song for the James Bond film, You Only Live Twice?
- George Washington Duke, Union Cane, and Tommy Gunn are all characters in which film?
- Who plays undercover British agent Ilsa Faust in Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation?
- Assignment Miami Beach is the fifth instalment of which comedy franchise?
- Which Game Of Thrones star plays Sarah Connor in 2015’s Terminator Genisys?
- What comes next in this sequence – a plane, a motorway, a rollercoaster, a racetrack…?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- Which 1990s blockbuster connects Antonio Banderas, Anthony Hopkins, and Catherine Zeta Jones?
- In cinemas this week! What is the title of the new neo-noir thriller directed by Guillermo del Toro?
- Who plays Robin Hood in 1938’s The Adventures Of Robin Hood?
- What job connects the protagonists of Darkest Hour, The Iron Lady, and The Special Relationship?
- Which comedy franchise connects Rob Lowe and Christopher Walken?
- In the news! Which director’s debut novel will revisit the story of his 1995 movie Heat?
- Also in cinemas this week! Which new release is the setting for the films ’71, Good Vibrations, and In The Name Of The Father?
- In Disney’s Oliver & Company, what kind of animal is Oliver?
- Who plays Florence Foster Jenkins, in 2016’s Florence Foster Jenkins?
- And finally, in 1989, John Schlesinger’s Madame Sousatzka was the first-ever film to be granted which BBFC certificate?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below.
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.