“If you really love Christmas, c’mon and let it snow”: this week’s festive film quiz breaks out the tinsel and baubles with 30 Yuletide movie teasers.
Before we put Film Quiz Friday away for this year, (don’t worry, there’ll be another mid-week treat to see you through to the end of 2021, so you’d better watch out for that) let’s do as Bill Nighy’s ageing rocker does in Love Actually and bolt Christmas onto something that you like already. Put away questions like “What’s the best Christmas film?” (The Muppet Christmas Carol, obv) and “Does that count as a Christmas film?” (if you want it to, yes) and wrap your brain around this lot instead. And however you’re spending the festive season, thank you all for playing along this year.
Once you’ve completed all three festive rounds in this week’s quiz, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. All that remains is to wish you a very merry Christmas – let’s hope it’s a good one…
ROUND ONE – Christmas On The Big Screen
“Christmas is all around me, and so the feeling grows…” This round is about Christmas scenes and movies released in UK cinemas in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 1995 – Which “sheep-pig” strives to avoid becoming Christmas dinner in the family movie of the same name?
- 2003 – Which Godfather star plays Buddy the elf’s dad in Elf?
- 2014 – Dude, Where’s My Donkey? is the third instalment in which children’s movie franchise?
- 1984 – In Gremlins, what does Billy Peltzer name the Mogwai he gets for Christmas?
- 1987 – Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) is a festive standard by singer Darlene Love, but in which Christmas movie does she play the character Trish Murtaugh?
- 1997 – Which Christmas-set crime drama connects Guy Pearce, Russell Crowe, and James Cromwell?
- 1985 – Which comedy actor plays Patch the elf in Santa Claus: The Movie?
- 2018 – Complete the title of the Scottish Christmas zombie musical – Anna And The…
- 1993 – Jack Skellington is the main character in which animated musical?
- 1969 – Which James Bond film features the original song “Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown” during a festive scene in the Swiss Alps?
ROUND TWO – Christmas Taglines
“You gave your presents to me, and I gave mine to you…” – always read the tags on your Christmas presents! Can you name the festive film from just the movie tagline and the year it was released?
- “A family comedy without the family.” (1990)
- “Bill Murray is back among the ghosts. Only this time, it’s three against one.” (1988)
- “His father, her mother, his mother and her father all in one day.” (2008)
- “Yule crack up!” (1989)
- “Christmas is coming early this year. And it’s murder.” (1974)
- “Two dads. One toy. No prisoners.” (1996)
- “He’s very naughty and not very nice.” (2003)
- “No if or ands… just one big butt.” (1994)
- “Sometimes, you’ve just gotta have faith.” (2019)
- “Last time, it blew you through the back wall of the theatre. This time, it will blow you sky high! (1990)
ROUND THREE – The Christmas Selection Box
“There’s no beginning, there’ll be no end, cos on Christmas, you can depend…” Let’s finish with a random selection of suitably Christmassy movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- Born on Christmas Day 1899, which actor plays Rick Blaine in Casablanca?
- How many ghosts visit Ebenezer Scrooge in The Muppet Christmas Carol?
- On the small screen! Which Spider-Man star provides the voice of Percy Pig in this year’s Marks & Spencer Christmas adverts?
- Who does Kristen Stewart play in 2021’s royal Christmas drama Spencer?
- The first Toy Story ends with Andy getting a puppy for Christmas – what is the name of the dog, who appears in the next two sequels?
- Who plays Hollywood trailer producer Amanda Woods in 2006’s The Holiday?
- What name connects festive movie characters played by Michael Keaton, Chris Pine, and Martin Short?
- Also on the small screen! With 16.15 million viewers on Christmas Day, which Wallace & Gromit short film was UK TV’s most watched broadcast of 2008?
- Who plays Mrs Claus to Kurt Russell’s Santa in Netflix’s Christmas Chronicles movies?
- And finally, complete the quote from It’s A Wonderful Life – “Every time a bell rings…”
Look to the future… er, the answers…
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). As mentioned, we’ll have an end-of-year quiz for you next week, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.