Apparently, there’s a new Marvel movie out, but in this week’s film quiz, we’re more interested in Sam Raimi’s first directorial outing in nine years.
You might think Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness would finally inspire a Marvel-themed Film Quiz Friday, but no can do, Dormammu! Sam Raimi is one of the few directors who’s directed two whole trilogies (we can think of two more directors who have done the double – name them in the comments for unofficial bonus points!) and plenty more bangers in various genres aside. As this week marks his first directorial outing in a while, we’re celebrating Raimi’s filmography in the second of this week’s three rounds.
Once you’ve finished all 30 questions, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 31 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Groovy…
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
This round is about new UK cinema releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 1994 – Which independent comedy takes place in and around the Quick Stop Groceries store in New Jersey?
- 1961 – Born this week, which actor directed the films Good Night And Good Luck, The Ides Of March, and The Monuments Men?
- 1972 – In cinemas this week! Starring Liza Minnelli and Michael York, which movie musical has been re-released for its 50th anniversary?
- 2011 – Which child assassin is played by Saoirse Ronan in the Joe Wright-directed action movie of the same name?
- 1998 – “Her life was in their hands, now her toe is in the mail” is the tagline for which cult comedy classic?
- 1985 – The Jewel Of The Nile is the sequel to which 1984 romantic-comedy adventure?
- 1990 – Which US city provides the setting for Predator 2 – New York or Los Angeles?
- 2016 – Which off-kilter music biopic connects Meryl Streep, Hugh Grant, and Simon Helberg?
- 1984 – How many Police Academy movies have been released to date?
- 2005 – “So Long And Thanks For All The Fish” is a song from which sci-fi comedy movie?
ROUND TWO – The Sam Raimi Round
Next, 10 questions on films directed by Sam Raimi, from Evil Dead to Spider-Man and lots of stuff he’s directed in between!
- What is the full title of the third film in the Evil Dead trilogy?
- Who plays psychic clairvoyant Annie Wilson in 2000’s The Gift?
- Which Raimi-created character connects Liam Neeson, Bruce Campbell, and Arnold Vosloo?
- Which hand does Ash replace with a chainsaw in Evil Dead II – his left or his right?
- Which two actors from Spider-Man reprise their roles in both sequels despite their characters dying in the first film? (2 points)
- Which horror movie prominently features a mythological demon called the Lamia?
- Who plays baseball pitcher Billy Chapel in 1999’s For The Love Of The Game?
- Which 1995 western connects Sharon Stone, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Gene Hackman?
- Who plays Theodora, later the Wicked Witch of the West, in Oz The Great And Powerful?
- In Spider-Man 3, a symbiote-addled Peter Parker dances to the 1973 song “People Get Up And Drive Your Funky Soul”, by which singer?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- Which of these actors had the most feature film outings as James Bond – Pierce Brosnan or Daniel Craig?
- Whose film roles include Julian Assange, Thomas Edison, and Alan Turing?
- In the news! Which director is set to remake their own 1989 Hong Kong actioner The Killer?
- Which Scottish rock band takes their name from the criminal family in 1985’s The Goonies?
- What comes next in this sequence? – the letter S > the power of three > …
- In which decade are The Mummy, The Princess And The Frog, and Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them all set?
- Who plays the title role in 2012’s Martha Marcy May Marlene?
- What animal connects 2010s movies directed by Jon Favreau, Chris Morris, and Garth Davis?
- Also in the news! Just when you thought it was safe to put her back in the corner, which star of 1987’s Dirty Dancing is reportedly returning for an upcoming sequel?
- And finally, to date, who is the only American historical figure to be the title character of a Disney animated feature?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll be back next Friday with another quiz, but until then, let us know your scores did in the comments below!
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.