“I think, at the end of the day, filmmaking is a team, but eventually there’s got to be a captain”: this week’s film quiz has 30 questions on the films of Sir Ridley Scott and lots more movie trivia.
You know how it is – you go 45 months without a new Ridley Scott movie in UK cinemas and then two come along within a month or so. Ending the longest gap without a new release since his career began, Scott’s new film The Last Duel is out today and another, House Of Gucci, will arrive at the end of November. I haven’t seen either film and far be it from me to judge a brand-new Jared Leto movie without seeing it, but let’s do the round on Scott’s earlier films this week anyway, eh?
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. If you’re not a Scott fan, I’m sure you’ll have your vengeance, in this life or the next…
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
This round is about new UK cinema releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 1996 – Which slasher horror film returned to cinemas this week for its 25th anniversary?
- 2015 – In which British drama does Meryl Streep play Emmeline Pankhurst?
- 1965 – Born this week, which actor’s characters include Tony Wilson, Martin Sixsmith, and Stan Laurel?
- 1986 – Professor Ratigan is the villain in which Disney animated film?
- 1998 – Which film features the catchphrase “Good morning – and in case I don’t see you, good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight”?
- 2007 – Which French dish is also the title of the sixth highest-grossing movie at the worldwide box office of 2007?
- 1988 – Who plays Wanda in A Fish Called Wanda?
- 2020 – Which psychological horror film stars Morfydd Clark as a Catholic care nurse?
- 1994 – The films in Krzysztof Kieślowski’s Three Colours trilogy are named in order after the colours on which country’s flag?
- 2005 – Which actor connects Corpse Bride and Wallace And Gromit: The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit, both released in UK cinemas in the same week?
ROUND TWO – The Ridley Scott Round
From The Duellists to The Last Duel, Ridley Scott’s directed a lot of movies over the last four decades or so. Here are 10 questions about some of them…
- What is the name of the spaceship on which Alien is set?
- Who does Susan Sarandon play in Thelma & Louise – Thelma or Louise?
- How many Ridley Scott films has Russell Crowe starred in to date?
- What is Deckard’s first name in Blade Runner?
- Which 2003 comedy stars Nicolas Cage as a con artist with obsessive-compulsive disorder?
- In Prometheus, the android David is seen modelling his appearance after which movie star?
- What colour connects a 1989 crime thriller and a 2001 war movie, both directed by Scott?
- Which Lord Of The Rings star is involved in The Martian‘s Project Elrond?
- In what century is Kingdom Of Heaven set?
- As mentioned, it’s been a long 45 months since Scott’s last released feature – which 2017 film was his most recent release before The Last Duel?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- Who plays computer hacker Luther Stickell in the Mission: Impossible movies?
- “Houston, we have a problem” is a tagline for which 1995 film?
- Which horror franchise features Ed and Lorraine Warren as its main characters?
- In which English city is 1971’s Get Carter set?
- Which 2016 film comes next in this sequence – Crazy, Stupid, Love; Gangster Squad…
- Who connects the 1980s films Tootsie, Fletch, and The Fly?
- In which 2021 British drama do Colin Firth and Stanley Tucci play lovers who tour the Lake District?
- How many Weeks’ Notice does Sandra Bullock give Hugh Grant in a 2002 romcom?
- Which actor has singing parts in the films Grease 2, The Fabulous Baker Boys, and The Prince Of Egypt?
- And finally, complete the title of the 1989 movie directed by William Shatner – Star Trek V…
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below.
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.