Kick off your weekend with a Friday film quiz – this week’s edition includes questions about football in the movies, famous sci-fi flops, and lots of other lovely bits of movie trivia.
As the UEFA European Football Championships kick off a year later than planned, we’re gonna be seeing a lot about football in the next few weeks, so let’s get the business of quizzing about football in films out of the way now. Appreciating that some may not appreciate a ball being kicked over our film quiz fence, there’s twice as many questions on more general movie knowledge and we’ll boot it back over to movies after Round 2.
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 31 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Here we go, here we go, here we goooo…
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
This round is about new UK cinema releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 2021 – Who won this year’s Best Actor Oscar for playing the title role in The Father?
- 2000 – In which infamously rubbish sci-fi film does John Travolta play Psychlo security chief Terl?
- 1959 – Born this week, who connects the films Peter’s Friends, Stuart Little, and The Personal History Of David Copperfield?
- 1995 – Who directed The Fifth Element?
- 2017 – Which Oscar-winning Rachel plays the title character in My Cousin Rachel?
- 1988 – In which romantic comedy does Goldie Hawn play amnesiac heiress Joanna Stayton?
- 2003 – Who plays Adam Sandler’s anger management therapist in Anger Management?
- 1967 – Released in UK cinemas this week, which Sergio Leone western marked Clint Eastwood’s first leading role in a film?
- 2018 – What is the full title of the second Jurassic World film?
- 1983 – In which James Bond film does Maud Adams play the title character?
ROUND TWO – A Round Of Two Halves
On your head, son – here are 10 brain-teasers covering football and footballers on film, from sports movies to documentaries…
- Which British football film connects Parminder Nagra, Keira Knightley, and Juliet Stevenson?
- Who plays football manager Brian Clough in The Damned United?
- In which home nation is the British coming-of-age film Gregory’s Girl set?
- Which 2001 Hong Kong comedy sees kung fu masters trying to promote martial arts to the masses by playing football?
- Which British sports trilogy follows Kuno Becker as Newcastle United footballer Santiago Munez?
- Dug, Goona, and Asbo are footballers in which animated comedy?
- Who plays England manager Mike Bassett in 2001’s Mike Bassett: England Manager?
- Which mutant does footballer-turned-actor Vinnie Jones play in X-Men: The Last Stand?
- Which Argentine footballer was the subject of a 2019 Asif Kapadia documentary of the same name?
- For a point each, what two animals play in goal in Bedknobs & Broomsticks’ animated football match on the island of Naboombu?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- Who plays Fester Addams in The Addams Family and Addams Family Values?
- What title connects a 1963 comedy starring Jerry Lewis and a 1996 remake starring Eddie Murphy?
- Complete the title of the 2000 film – Crouching Tiger…
- Which UK city connects the films The Golden Compass, The Riot Club, and Shadowlands?
- John Cleese’s character in A Fish Called Wanda is named Archibald Leach, after the real name of which transatlantic movie star?
- Irene Cara had a chart-topping, Oscar-winning hit with the theme song from which 1980 movie?
- Mumble is the main character in which animated film franchise?
- Who plays Oscar Grant in the 2014 drama Fruitvale Station?
- In which 1980s family film does David Bowie perform the song “Magic Dance”?
- And finally, what name connects movie characters played by Alan Cumming, Matt Damon, and Jake Gyllenhaal?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below.
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.