How can the same quiz happen to the same guy twice? The art of the second-movie subtitle is just one of the subjects covered in this week’s film trivia challenge.
As Venom: Let There Be Carnage records pre-pandemic box-office numbers in the US, we can’t help but feel the title plays a big part in that. Instantly joining the ranks of Electric Boogaloo and The Quickening, that title has inspired us to dedicate another round to these difficult second-movie subtitles – the good, the bad, and the self-explanatory…
Once you’ve completed all 30 questions, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Heck, if this goes down well, hopefully we’ll be back With A Vengeance for “Sequelizer III” someday.
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
This round is about new UK cinema releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 1975 – Born this week, who connects the 1990s films Heavenly Creatures, Sense & Sensibility, and Titanic?
- 2006 – In which comedy does Adam Sandler gain a remote control for every aspect of his life?
- 1995 – “Colours Of The Wind” is a song from which Disney film?
- 2002 – Who plays photo technician Sy Parrish in One Hour Photo?
- 1971 – Complete the title of the Hammer/Shaw Brothers co-production: The Legend Of The 7 Golden…
- 1999 – “There’s something about your first piece” is a tagline for which teen sex comedy?
- 2014 – Who plays “Amazing” Amy Dunne in Gone Girl?
- 1993 – In which John Woo film does Chow Yun-fat play Inspector “Tequila” Yuen?
- 1957 – Who directed The Bridge On The River Kwai?
- 2013 – Which actor connects Sunshine On Leith, How I Live Now, and For Those In Peril, all released in UK cinemas on the same day?
ROUND TWO – Let There Be Subtitles
Can you name the franchise that each of the following second instalments belong to, from just the title and the year they were released?
- The Legend Of Curly’s Gold (1994)
- I Want To Believe (2008)
- Fievel Goes West (1991)
- Spirit Of Vengeance (2012)
- On The Rocks (1989)
- Cruise Control (1997)
- A Game Of Shadows (2011)
- The Hunt For The Blood Orchid (2004)
- The Golden Age (2007)
- The Secret Of The Ooze (1991)
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- Who connects the films Inception, The Revenant, and Star Trek: Nemesis?
- In the news – The Shark Is Broken is a play about the making of which classic thriller?
- Who plays Long John Silver in 1996’s Muppet Treasure Island?
- Which 1980s romantic comedy connects Holly Hunter, Albert Brooks, and William Hurt?
- Which director’s debut feature was 1982’s Piranha II: The Spawning?
- In which 2018 film does Claire Foy play Lisbeth Salander?
- Which US city connects the movie characters Jimmy “B-Rabbit” Smith, Axel Foley, and Alex Murphy?
- The Jesus Rolls is a 2019 spin-off from which 1990s comedy?
- What is the name of the supervillain is voiced by Steve Carell in the Despicable Me films and its spin-offs?
- And finally, what number connects the first film John Hughes directed and the last film Richard Donner directed?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below.
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.