Steven Spielberg is 75 years old next week and this week’s film quiz covers his works to date, along with some films he somehow wasn’t involved in.
Whether as a director or as a producer, Steven Spielberg has had more of a hand in the progression of Hollywood over the last five decades than most filmmakers. To date, he’s the only director whose films have collectively made more than $10 billion at the box office, and from one film to the next, (like 2018’s Ready Player One to this week’s release of West Side Story) there’s some quite wild range in the films he’s made. Having already covered the Indiana Jones films earlier this year, we’ve put together a Round 2 about other bits of his extensive filmography…
Once you’ve completed all three rounds in this week’s quiz, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Without further ado, here’s the quiz…
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
This round is about new UK cinema releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 2012 – What is the full title of the first film in Peter Jackson’s Hobbit trilogy?
- 1973 – Which British horror film is set on the Hebridean island of Summerisle?
- 1934 – Born this week, who connects the title roles in Iris, Philomena, and Mrs Brown?
- 2007 – What is the name of Amy Adams’ character in Enchanted?
- 1986 – Which sci-fi comedy has the tagline “Number 5 is alive”?
- 2020 – Who plays Barbara Minerva, aka Cheetah, in Wonder Woman 1984?
- 1971 – “If I Were A Rich Man” is a song from which musical adaptation?
- 2002 – Eight Crazy Nights is an animated Hannukah film starring which comedy actor?
- 1968 – Which World War II action film sees Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood raid a German fortress?
- 1999 – Who directed the big-screen Bottom spin-off Guest House Paradiso – Rik Mayall or Adrian Edmondson?
ROUND TWO – The Steven Spielberg Round
Next, 10 questions on films directed by the most commercially successful director of all time, from his Oscar-worthy dramas to his iconic blockbuster fare…
- Spielberg has won two Best Director Oscars to date, for Schindler’s List and which other film?
- Who plays T.S. Quint in 1975’s Jaws?
- What is the name of the prototype mecha child played by Haley Joel Osment in A.I.: Artificial Intelligence?
- Devils Tower in Wyoming is the setting for the finale of which 1977 film?
- Which actor has appeared in more Spielberg-directed films to date – Harrison Ford or Tom Hanks?
- Which Roald Dahl book did Spielberg adapt for the screen in 2016?
- Who plays Tinker Bell in 1991’s Hook?
- Elizabeth Banks, Jennifer Garner, and Amy Adams all have early roles in which 2002 Spielberg film?
- 2011’s War Horse is set during which war?
- Pat Welsh is best loved as the voice of which film’s title character?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- In the news! And Just Like That… is a new HBO series set after the events of which TV and movie franchise?
- What profession connects the films High Life, The Right Stuff, and Ad Astra?
- Complete the title of the 1987 animated film about talking household appliances – The Brave Little…
- Which future Oscar winner plays “next karate kid” Julie Pierce in 1994’s The Next Karate Kid?
- What number connects a musical drama and a post-apocalyptic animated film, both released in cinemas in 2009?
- Also in the news! Which horror film’s screenplay was named as the best of the 21st century to date in a new list published by the Writer’s Guild of America?
- The Smell Of Fear and The Final Insult are sequels to which comedy movie?
- Who connects the movies Grosse Pointe Blank, Say Anything…, and School Of Rock?
- Directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, which 2014 disaster movie takes place in the ancient city of the same name?
- And finally, which movie star has lent his voice to a baby, a dog, a raccoon, and the LEGO version of himself?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have a special Christmas-themed quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below.
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.