Can you tell your Freddy’s Dead from your New Nightmare? This week’s film quiz tests your knowledge of horror sequels and other movie bits.
You need only look at the current cinema listings to see how many different ways there are to name a horror sequel, whether it’s a tasteful Part II, (A Quiet Place) an unimprovable Devil Made Me Do It, (The Conjuring) or the downright baffling Spiral: From The Book Of Saw. So, this week’s quiz has got another subtitle round, this time focusing on the many scary and otherwise horror-adjacent franchises on the go.
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. As with titling horror sequels, it’s all just for fun and a bit of a daft laugh, apparently…
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
This round is about new UK cinema releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 1991 – Which psychological horror film features a Death’s Head hawk-moth on its iconic poster?
- 2021 – Who directed A Quiet Place and its sequel?
- 1993 – Who plays William “D-Fens” Foster in Falling Down?
- 2009 – What is the full title of the fourth Terminator movie?
- 1975 – Which Aerosmith song is named after a famous joke from Young Frankenstein?
- 1982 – Born this week, who connects the films Attack The Block, Journeyman, and Venus?
- 2005 – Which Danny Boyle fantasy movie takes place in the run-up to the United Kingdom adopting the Euro?
- 1996 – What animal is the surname of criminal brothers Seth and Richie in From Dusk Til Dawn?
- 2015 – Which British romcom sees Lake Bell and Simon Pegg going on the wrong blind date together?
- 1983 – Who comes next in this sequence? George Lucas, Irvin Kershner…
ROUND TWO – The Devil Made Us Do It
With so many sequels in cinemas at the moment, can you name each of the following horror-themed franchises, based only on the subtitle and the year it was released in cinemas?
- Leatherface (1990)
- Rise Of The Lycans (2009)
- The New Blood (1988)
- Farewell To The Flesh (1995)
- The Last Key (2018)
- Damien (1978)
- Election Year (2016)
- Dead By Dawn (1987)
- Double Tap (2019)
- The Final Sacrifice (1992)
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- In Superbad, what fake name does Christopher Mintz-Plasse’s character use on his fake ID?
- Which actor connects both the 1994 film Maverick and the original US TV series of the same name?
- What title connects a 1967 comedy starring Gene Wilder and a 2005 musical starring Matthew Broderick?
- Who plays Detective Harry Hole in the chilly 2017 thriller The Snowman?
- In which 2015 music biopic did O’Shea Jackson Jr play his own real-life father?
- Which country connects Heavenly Creatures, The Piano, and What We Do In The Shadows?
- Who plays Mr Tumnus the faun in 2005’s The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe?
- How many Mission: Impossible movies have been released to date?
- Which 1980s sci-fi comedy franchise revolves around a race of aliens from the planet Antarea?
- And finally, what connects Anne Reid, Helena Bonham Carter, and Sally Lindsay?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below.
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.