We come to it at last – this week’s film quiz includes 30 questions about comedy remakes, the Scream franchise, and the movies of Kevin Costner.
As we might have mentioned once or twice, Kevin Costner is very important to us here at Film Stories Towers. After covering several of his movies in the Film Stories podcast and quoting him frequently on the spine of the magazine, it’s about time we gave a round over to his filmography, which you’ll find sandwiched between your regular cinematic trivia rounds.
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Bring plenty of that English courage (accent optional) and let’s go…
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
This round is about new UK cinema releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 1977 – Born this week, who plays Will Turner in the Pirates Of The Caribbean films?
- 1964 – What title connects a comedy starring Peter Sellers and a 2009 remake starring Steve Martin?
- 1974 – “Their deadly mission: to crack the forbidden island of Han” is the tagline for which 1973 martial-arts actioner?
- 1990 – Which 1989 buddy comedy pairs Tom Hanks with a French mastiff?
- 2007 – In which country is The Last King Of Scotland largely set?
- 1999 – Who plays Joe Black in Meet Joe Black?
- 2010 – Which post-apocalyptic thriller connects Denzel Washington, Mila Kunis, and Gary Oldman?
- 1996 – Who directed 1995’s Showgirls?
- 1968 – “Don’t Rain On My Parade” is a song from which movie musical?
- 2020 – What year was the name of the highest grossing film at the UK box office in 2020?
ROUND TWO – The Kevin Costner Round
It’s Kevin Costner’s birthday this weekend, so here’s a round all about his various movies and roles, from Field Of Dreams to Man Of Steel…
- Which sport connects Bull Durham, For The Love Of The Game, and Field Of Dreams?
- In which film does Costner play Bureau of Prohibition agent Eliot Ness?
- In Man Of Steel, Jonathan Kent dies during what kind of natural disaster?
- Which UK newspaper shares its name with a 2006 film in which Costner plays a member of the US Coast Guard?
- Which 2003 Western marks Costner’s most recent directorial outing to date?
- The Universal Studios attraction A Live Sea War Spectacular is based on which Costner film?
- Which American agency does Al Harrison work for in Hidden Figures?
- Which real-life Old West lawman did Costner play in a 1994 western of the same name?
- In Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves, which English actor plays Robin’s father, Lord Locksley?
- Costner co-starred with Gary Oldman and Tommy Lee Jones in 1991’s JFK, but which daffy 2016 action-thriller reunited them?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- Including the new film in cinemas this week, how many Scream movies have been released to date?
- Who plays Crocodile Dundee in Crocodile Dundee and its sequels?
- Rusty Ryan, Basher Tarr, and the Amazing Yen are all characters in which 2001 movie remake?
- “They call me Mister Tibbs” is a famous quote from which Oscar-winning 1967 drama?
- Who connects the 1980s films The War Of The Roses, Romancing The Stone, and Body Heat?
- What word connects sequels to The Bourne Identity, The Craft, and TRON?
- Who plays Buttercup, the princess bride in The Princess Bride?
- In the news! Michael Bay and Netflix are producing an English-language remake of which 2011 Indonesian action thriller?
- What type of clothing grants Jackie Chan the fighting abilities of Jackie Chan in the 2002 action-comedy of the same name?
- And finally, looking for something specific here – what connects The Dead Pool, Midnight In Saint Petersburg, and Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below.
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.