What connects a Tom Cruise fantasy film and a Tom Hardy gangster movie? Well, it’s this week’s film quiz, with 30 new questions.
At the time of writing, two very different films have just landed in UK cinemas with very similar titles. You probably don’t want to get In The Earth and In The Heights mixed up if you’re only interested in seeing one of those films this weekend, but what happens when very different films have the exact same title? There’s a whole round on that very subject in this week’s selection of 30 movie trivia questions.
Once you’ve completed all three rounds, you’ll find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but please let us know how you did in the comments (scores out of 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. If you don’t enjoy the quiz then, er… you’re thinking of the other Film Quiz Friday, so take it up with them.
ROUND ONE – This Week In Movie History
This round is about new UK cinema releases and general film history from this week in years past – we’ve given you the year at the start of each question to help out!
- 2021 – What is the title of the new Pixar movie, released on Disney+ today?
- 2008 – Who plays Bruce Banner in The Incredible Hulk?
- 1997 – “Put the bunny back in the box” is a quote from which 1990s action movie?
- 2004 – What is the full title of the sequel to 2000’s The Whole Nine Yards?
- 1999 – Who plays the bride of Chucky in Bride Of Chucky?
- 1984 – Willie Scott is a character in which adventure sequel?
- 1994 – Mission To Moscow is the seventh instalment in which comedy movie series?
- 2011 – Who plays bad teacher Elizabeth Halsey in Bad Teacher?
- 1967 – Complete the title of the Hammer horror sequel – Frankenstein Created…
- 1952 – Born this week, who connects the films When A Stranger Calls, The Princess Bride, and Scrooged?
ROUND TWO – Not That One…
Sometimes, two unrelated movies have the exact same title – for instance, Legend is both a Tom Cruise fantasy film and a Tom Hardy gangster movie. Can you guess which title connects these films, described only by cryptic clues and the years they were released?
- A criminal on the run slips into a car race (1954) and a car racer becomes a criminal on the run (2001)
- Stellar fantasy adventure (2007) and “mostly fictional” unlicensed biopic (2021)
- A career criminal comes of age (1983) and career cops are immature (1995)
- Hitchcockian screwball comedy (1941) and Brangelina action comedy (2005)
- Richard Gere hunts for an assassin (2011) and Richard Ayoade directs a character’s self-assassination (2013)
- A French artist loses the girl (1952) and a singing writer loses the girl (2001)
- Disney’s princess animation (1959) and Julia Leigh’s erotic drama (2011)
- An elderly detective closes an old case (1998) and a teenage girl romances a much older man (2008)
- James Stewart strives for peace in Arizona (1950) and John Woo stages a tussle over nuclear warheads (1996)
- A tale of class inequality in France (2012) and a more contemporary tale of class inequality in France (2019)
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
Let’s finish with a random selection of pot luck movie questions – these could come from any era, any genre, or any level of difficulty. Enjoy!
- In the Paddington movies, Paddington hails from which South American country?
- Bryan Adams’ global chart hit “(Everything I Do) I Do It For You” is the theme song to which 1991 film?
- Which 1999 mockumentary connects Ellen Barkin, Kirsten Dunst, and Denise Richards?
- Who directed the 2019 sports comedy Fighting With My Family?
- Which character is played by the top-billed star in this week’s new release Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard – the hitman, the wife, or the bodyguard?
- The T-Birds and the Pink Ladies are major characters in which musical franchise?
- Which sasquatch character was renamed Bigfoot in the UK title of a 1987 family comedy?
- What animal connects films directed by Will Gluck, Taika Waititi, and Robert Zemeckis?
- Chan Kong-sang is the real name of which action movie star?
- And finally, in which 2004 movie does Halle Berry play Patience Phillips?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz – when you’re ready to check your answers, click here to get them (it’ll take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below.
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.
Become a Patron here.