Films such as Bird Box, Extraction, The Irishman and 6 Underground are all amongst the top ten original films of all time on the Netflix service.
The notoriously rather shy Netflix – at least when it comes to releasing viewing numbers – has released its chart of its most popular original movies to date on its service. And the full top ten list gives an interesting insight into where the streaming giant is scoring its biggest hits.
The metric it uses is measuring the number of viewers a film has in the first four weeks on release. Previously, Netflix has revealed that it captures the data once someone has watched – or at least played and slept through a bit of – 70% of a movie. And it’s the Chris Hemsworth-headlined action movie Extraction that leads the way, followed by Bird Box, starring Sandra Bullock. Tellingly, sequels to both of those productions are in the works.
Other notable inclusions are the critically-mauled Michael Bay-directed nonsense-fest 6 Underground, Mark Wahlberg leading Spenser Confidential and, of course, Martin Scorsese’s hugely expensive The Irishman.
The full list, as per Bloomberg, is as follows…
- Extraction (2020): 99 million views
- Bird Box (2018): 89 million views
- Spenser Confidential (2020): 85 million views
- 6 Underground (2019): 83 million views
- Murder Mystery (2019): 73 million views
- The Irishman (2019): 64 million views
- Triple Frontier (2019): 63 million views
- The Wrong Missy (2020): 59 million views
- The Platform (2019): 56 million views
- The Perfect Date (2019): 48 million views
As subscriber numbers to Netflix continue to rise, not least given the past few months, that 100 million barrier should be comfortably broken by a film before the end of the year…
Thank you for visiting! If you’d like to support our attempts to make a non-clickbaity movie website:
Become a Patron here.
Sign up for our email newsletter here.
Buy our Film Stories and Film Stories Junior print magazines here.